Monday, December 8, 2008

misspell

the rotary club gives all the third graders their very own dictionary every year. bryson was looking fervently for a word and i asked him which word it was. "arcane," was his response. "why do you need to know that word?" i asked. he told me that his older brother often uses words bryson doesn't know just to confuse him. then he said, "he did the same thing with 'clone' too, but i found that one already. it's not what i thought it was." "what did you think it was?" i asked him. bryson replied that he thought a clone was an exact copy of something else. confused, i told him that it was and had him show me the entry in the dictionary. trying not to laugh, i read the following definition aloud:

a person who has the ability to turn himself or herself into a comical character that brings happiness and joy; especially to children, the sick, and sad

as i read it aloud to the students, allan exclaimed, "that sounds like a clown!" it was...bryson had looked up clown, thinking it was clone.

1 comment:

LeShel said...

I'm glad you were able to correct that confuion. I want dibs on the smart kid tht figured out what the definition was of. I was totally confused, trying to figure out the link.
Love the music on your site. I think you should Hot for Teacher. I don't really know the song but it seems like a perfect fit. :)